More on Libya

US moves armed forces closer to Libya as unrest grows

20 May 2014 12:45Sapa-AP, Reuters

The US has sent more marines and aircraft to Naval Air Station Sigonella in Sicily after gunmen stormed Libya’s Parliament over the weekend.
The United States has increased the number of marines and aircraft stationed in Sicily. (AFP)

The United States has increased the number of marines and aircraft stationed in Sicily who could be called on to evacuate Americans from the US embassy in Tripoli as unrest in Libya grows, two US officials said on Monday.

They were sending about 60 more marines and another four Osprey aircraft, whose tiltrotor engines allow them to take off and land like helicopters, to Naval Air Station Sigonella in Sicily from a military base in Spain.

This has brought the number of marines stationed in Sicily as a precaution to around 250, the two officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity. Their location in Italy moves them closer to Libya, speeding up response times.

One US official added that the armed forces at Sigonella were on heightened alert.

Heavily armed gunmen stormed Libya’s Parliament on Sunday and gunfire erupted across Tripoli, where rival militias clashed in some of the worst violence in the city since the end of the 2011 war against Muammar Gaddafi.

Saudi Arabia closed its embassy and consulate in the Libyan capital and withdrew its entire diplomatic staff on Monday because of security concerns.

Underscoring the turmoil, the commander of the Libyan army special forces, Wanis Bukhamada, said on Monday that he had allied with renegade general Khalifa Haftar in his campaign against militant Islamists. The Tripoli government has denounced Haftar as attempting to stage a coup.

Embassy security
The marines in Sigonella are part of a crisis response unit focused on embassy security. The unit was created after the attack on the US diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, on September 11 2012 that killed US ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.

The Pentagon has in recent months made similar, temporary moves of marines from the special purpose marine air-ground task force-crisis response, a rotating force of marines and sailors positioned at Morón Air Base in Spain.

About 200 marines from the task force flew to the Sigonella station in Sicily in October last year for several weeks after US special operations forces captured a senior al-Qaeda figure in Libya, triggering unrest.

Meanwhile, an official close to Algeria’s state-owned oil firm Sonatrach said authorities had decided to evacuate the company’s employees from Libya because of the deteriorating security situation.

The decision follows the evacuation of Algerian diplomats from Libya on Friday in response to what the foreign ministry said was a “clear and present” threat. The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the announcement was yet to be made, said on Tuesday that it was feared that with Algerian diplomats gone, terrorists would target oil workers.

Sonatrach has been working on oil fields in the Ghadames basin in southern Libya, near the Algerian border.

Renegade general Haftar has taken up arms against the Islamists dominating Libya’s fractured government, sparking fighting in major cities. Libya is home to al-Qaeda-linked groups battling the Algerian government.– Sapa-AP, Reuters

Benghazi Documents Lead Straight to White House

Fox News Channel is breaking this story this very moment.

 

Edit – Addition:  Fox News:

 

GOP senators demand explanation for Benghazi talking points

Kelly Ayotte.jpg

From right to left, Sen. Saxby Chambliss, R-Ga., Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., Sen. Kelly Ayotte, R-N.H., and Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

Three leading Republican senators are calling on the Obama administration to identify who briefed former U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice in advance of her Sunday show appearances where she blamed a video for the Benghazi attack.

Sens. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., Kelly Ayotte, R-N.H., and John McCain, R-Ariz., wrote to leaders on the House and Senate Foreign Relations committees asking them to compel the administration to explain the “taking points.”

In the letter first obtained by Fox News, the senators cite the recent testimony of former CIA acting and deputy director Michael Morell before the House Intelligence Committee, where he said it was Rice, not the CIA, who connected the obscure Internet video to the deadly Sept. 11, 2012 attack.

“How could former Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice, during the five Sunday talk shows on Sept. 16, 2012, claim that the attacks on our compounds were caused by a hateful video when Mr. Morell testified that the CIA never mentioned the video as a casual factor and made no reference to the video in any of the multiple versions of the talking points?” the senators wrote.

Given the CIA was not the source of the video explanation, according to Morell, lawmakers want to know whether State Department or White House personnel were involved in the Rice briefings in advance of the 2012 talk shows.

Rice is now the president’s national security adviser. Some lawmakers believe it would be difficult for Rice to now assert executive privilege because her previous job as U.N. ambassador required Senate confirmation.

In the letter, the lawmakers also questioned Rice’s statements about security at the Benghazi compound that were “clearly misrepresentations of the facts.”

“Ambassador Rice also falsely asserted that Al Qaeda was decimated. Who briefed her about Al Qaeda’s activities in Libya?” the lawmakers wrote.

“If we are to avoid future terrorist attacks like the one in Benghazi, we must answer these and many other unanswered questions,” the senators added.

Obama WATCHED Benghazi LIVE: IMPEACH OBAMA!

Go to the link below for the video.
28 Oct 2012
Lt. Col. Tony Schafer told Fox News that sources were telling him that the President was watching the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya in real-time. Schafer told Fox that “only the President” could have ordered backup for the Americans who were under siege by terrorists so the President was most certainly informed of the situation as it was unfolding. “I hate to say this,” Schafer said, “according to my sources, yes, [the President] was one of those in the White House situation room in real-time watching this. And the question becomes, ‘What did the President do or not do in the moments he saw this unveiling?’ He — only he — could issue a directive to Secretary of Defense Panetta to do something.”

Military Priests Face Arrest for Celebrating Mass in Defiance of Shutdown

By

military-chaplains-celebrate-EASTER-575x299

Our government is out of control.

First, it was the World War II veterans who had to break down barriers to see the open air, un-attended memorial erected in their honor.  A memorial which is on public land but is supported – including the National Park Service fee – with private funds. This week there was more security surrounding this memorial — just to keep elderly veterans out — than there was at our embassy in Benghazi the night it was attacked.

And for what? To inflict as much pain as possible through this government shutdown. It’s called Washington Monument Syndrome, and it’s pure political theater.

But now there’s a story just coming to light that takes things even further. According the Archdiocese for Military Services, GS and contract priests (who are paid by the federal government as independent contractors in places where there aren’t enough active-duty priests to meet the needs of Catholics in military service) are being forbidden from celebrating Mass, even on a volunteer basis.

If they violate this restriction, they face possible arrest. FOR CELEBRATING MASS. 

From John Schlageter, General Counsel for the Archdiocese:

There is a chronic shortage of active duty Catholic chaplains. While roughly 25% of the military is Catholic, Catholic priests make up only about 8% of the chaplain corps. That means approximately 275,000 men and women in uniform, and their families, are served by only 234 active-duty priests.  The temporary solution to this shortage is to provide GS and contract priests.   These men are employed by the government to ensure that a priest is available when an active duty Catholic Chaplain is not present.  With the government shutdown, GS and contract priests who minister to Catholics on military bases worldwide are not permitted to work – not even to volunteer.  During the shutdown, it is illegal for them to minister on base and they risk being arrested if they attempt to do so.

As an example, if a Catholic family has a Baptism scheduled at the base chapel at Langley AFB this weekend, unless they can locate a priest who is not a GS or contract priest, they should consider it cancelled.   Likewise, a Marine who attends Sunday Mass at the Quantico Chapel will have to go elsewhere this weekend.  If you are a Catholic stationed in Japan or Korea and are served by a Contract or GS priest, unless you speak Korean or Japanese and can find a church nearby, then you have no choice but to go without Mass this weekend.  Until the Federal Government resumes normal operations, or an exemption is granted to contract or GS priests, Catholic services are indefinitely suspended at those worldwide installations served by contract and GS priests.

At a time when the military is considering alternative sources of funding for sporting events at the service academies, no one seems to be looking for funding to ensure the Free Exercise rights of Catholics in uniform. Why not?

 

http://www.catholicvote.org/military-priests-face-arrest-for-celebrating-mass-in-defiance-of-shutdown/

Kerry refusing to allow interviews of Benghazi Survivors

Sep. 10, 2013 5:27pm

TheBlaze’s Becket Adams contributed to this report

Secretary of State John Kerry has informed Congress he “will not honor the request to make Benghazi survivors available for questioning,” CBS News reporter Sharyl Attkisson reports.

Republicans in the House Oversight Committee reportedly plan to issue subpoenas if Kerry does not reverse his decision and provide congressional investigators access to Benghazi survivors.

House Oversight Committee Chairman Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) on Monday sent Kerry a formal letter demanding access to the survivors of the Sept. 11, 2012, terrorist attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya.

“I must receive confirmation that the [State] Department will makes these witnesses available to Committee investigators by September 24, 2013,” the letter reads.

“Otherwise, I will have no alternative but to consider the use of compulsory process,” the letter adds.

The congressman points out that this is not the first time that the Committee has demanded access to the Benghazi survivors. In fact, he notes, the State Department has dutifully ignored or denied earlier requests for access.

The State Department told the Committee on Aug. 23, 2013, that it was not “prepared to support the [Committee’s] request for transcribed interviews.”

This would appear odd, the letter notes, considering certain Benghazi survivors have been available for various media appearances.

A recent “Vanity Fair” article, for instance, described the night of the attack and included details that only “persons who survived the attack could possibly know.”

Additionally, Rep. Issa explains, Fox News reported in July that it had made contact with David Ubben, one of the survivors

You can read the full letter here:

Rep. Issa by Becket Adams

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/09/10/cbs-reporter-kerry-tells-congress-he-wont-make-benghazi-survivors-available-for-questioning-subpoenas-could-be-coming/

 

The Benghazi deception: CNN confirms WND report of suspected CIA gun-running

Clinton testifies before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee about the September 11 attacks against the U.S. mission in Benghazi.

Alex Wong/Getty Images
August 3, 2013

The lies and deception perpetrated on the American public about Benghazi continue. However, yesterday another media outlet has joined the ranks of those reporting about the deception. On August 2, CNN confirmed WND’s previous report on suspected CIA gun-running in Benghazi.

WND was among the first to report about the CIA’s suspected illicit behavior. The alleged gun-running is being blamed for the deaths of Ambassador Stevens and three other Americans in the Sept. 11, 2012 attack on the U.S. mission and CIA annex.

Supposedly, Stevens coordinated the recruitment by Saudi Arabia of Islamic fighters from North Africa and Libya. He also reportedly sent the names of potential terrorist recruits to U.S. organizations for consideration.

The Business Insider reported U.S. Ambassador Stevens may have been linked to jihadist rebels in Syria, (October 29, 2012). In the report they said:

There’s growing evidence that U.S. agents — particularly murdered ambassador Chris Stevens — were at least aware of heavy weapons moving from Libya to jihadist Syrian rebels.

The CIA annex in Benghazi reportedly collected information concerning weapons looted from Libyan government arsenals. Among these weapons were surface-to-air missiles.

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-benghazi-deception-cnn-confirms-wnd-report-of-suspected-cia-gun-running

Rumsfeld dismisses Obama as the ‘so-called commander-in-chief’

By David Edwards
Wednesday, September 4, 2013 13:17 EDT
Donald Rumsfeld speaks to Fox News

Former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld on Wednesday said that President Barack Obama’s leadership had been so lacking on the issue of Syria that he only deserved the title of “so-called commander-in-chief.”

“The essence of leadership, really, is clarity and a vision, and there hasn’t been one,” Rumsfeld told the hosts of Fox & Friends. “My concern is, it seems to me, if you’re going to do something, you ought to do something that has a value and has purpose, rather than sending signals out that what we’re going to do won’t be much, it won’t last long, and it won’t end up with any changed circumstance on the ground.”

“In fact, former Sen. Barack Obama pretty much opposed former President Bush at every corner regarding his foreign policy,” Fox News host Steve Doocy noted. “This president delayed when it came to getting bin Laden, he delayed when it came to following up on Benghazi, and he now he has delayed on Syria. He has gone to Congress, probably to share the blame if anything blows up in his face.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/09/04/rumsfeld-dismisses-obama-as-the-so-called-commander-in-chief/