launches strike on Syria
Syrian President Bashar Assad, during an interview that aired Monday morning, threatened “repercussions” from any American attack on Syria.
The Syrian leader, speaking with CBS News, said the U.S. can expect “every action” if America strikes. He suggested retaliation could come from the opposition, as well as his own government and its allies.
“You should expect everything,” Assad said. Asked to elaborate, he added: “You should expect everything. Not necessarily from the government. … You have different parties, you have different factions, you have different ideology.”
Asked specifically if the attack could trigger more chemical warfare, Assad suggested the rebels would be the ones who would use them. He said that outcome depends on whether “terrorist” rebels possess those weapons, adding: “It could happen.”
Assad used the interview to challenge the Obama administration’s claims that his regime used chemical weapons in an attack that killed hundreds on Aug. 21. He said his soldiers were “in another area” at the time of the attack.
It comes as President Obama prepares to deliver a national address on Tuesday making his case for a military strike on Syria. The matter is currently before Congress, which will begin a set of votes this week on a resolution authorizing the use of force.
Obama on Monday also planned to make his case, in a string of interviews, for punishing Assad.
Top administration officials are heading to Capitol Hill for more classified briefings. And White House national security adviser Susan Rice is scheduled for a speech at a Washington think tank timed to the public relations blitz aimed at ensuring people the administration isn’t contemplating another commitment like Iraq and Afghanistan.
- Assad warns of retaliation for US strike on Syria (seattletimes.com)
- Assad warns of retaliation for US strike on Syria (kvue.com)
- Assad warns of retaliation for US strike on Syria (ktvb.com)
- Assad warns of retaliation for US strike on Syria (thenewstribune.com)
- Assad: No evidence of chemical attack (iol.co.za)
- Assad Warns of Retaliation for US Strike on Syria (abcnews.go.com)
- Assad warns of retaliation for US strike on Syria (stripes.com)
- Assad warns of retaliation for US strike on Syria (mysanantonio.com)