HERZLIYA, Israel — The United States would notify Israel hours in advance of an attack on Syria, an Israeli official said on Sunday.
While formally on the sidelines of the Syrian crisis, Israel fears coming under reprisals from its northern foe should the United States launch strikes to punish Damascus for alleged use of chemical weaponry.
Asked how much advance notice Israel would get from its U.S. ally about such attacks, an Israeli official briefed on contacts with Washington told Reuters: “Hours.”
But a senior strategist for the Defense Ministry said separately Israel was, like the rest of the world, in the dark at present.
“Will the United States attack? Will it not attack? What will the consequences be? All of these things are unknowns,” Amos Gilad said in a speech at the International Institute for Counter-Terrorism near Tel Aviv.
President Barack Obama has run into formidable U.S. domestic opposition to military action. Wary of appearing to meddle in American affairs, most Israeli officials have not publicly commented on the debate.
Israel plans to deploy anti-missile systems and troop reinforcements on its Syrian and Lebanese fronts if Obama green-lights strikes against Syria.
- US would notify Israel hours before Syria attack (worldbulletin.net)
- U.S. would notify Israel ‘hours’ before Syria attack: Israeli official (worldnews.nbcnews.com)
- US would notify Israel hours before Syria attack: Israeli official (dailystar.com.lb)
- Obama’s Syria difficulties cause worries in Israel (altahrir.wordpress.com)
- Israeli Cruise Missiles Fired At Syria Destroyed by US Navy (english.farsnews.com)
- Putin seeks deal to prevent US attack in Syria (warsclerotic.wordpress.com)