Chairman of the US Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Martin Dempsey arrived in Israel Monday, Aug. 12 for critical talks with Israel’s Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, Defense minister Moshe Ya’alon and Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Benny Gantz, followed by parallel talks in Jordan. debkafile reports he has come to lay the ground ahead of President Barack Obama’s final decision to embark on limited US military intervention in the Syria civil war.
The Obama plan, if it goes forward, would involve Saudi Arabia, Emirates, Israel, Jordan and possibly Turkey. debkafile’s Washington and military sources reveal its 11 high points – most of which were first reported exclusively in DEBKA Weekly 598 on Aug. 1:
1. US, British, French, Saudi and United Arab Emirates will establish a no-fly zone over central and southern Syria, stretching from the Jordanian-Israeli borders up to and including Damascus.
2. The Israeli Air Force will provide these forces with air cover from Syrian air space.
3. A 40-kilometer deep military buffer zone will be drawn from the Jordanian-Israeli borders up to the southern and western outskirts of Damascus. The military units controlling this zone will hold the entire area of the capital within artillery range.
4. The southern Syrian town of Deraa, where the Syrian uprising sprang up, will be declared capital of Liberated Syria.
- ‘They Cry Peace’ as U.S. General Dempsey Lands in Israel to Discuss War Plans for Syria (brandontward.blogspot.com)
- Dempsey in Israel, Jordan, to tie last ends before Obama decides finally on US military action in Syria (ncrenegade.com)
- The Obama plan for US military action in Syria (seeker401.wordpress.com)
- Dempsey in Israel, Jordan, to Tie Last Ends Before Obama Decides Finally on US Military Action in Syria! (socioecohistory.wordpress.com)
- Dempsey Arrives in Jordan for Consultations (defense.gov)
- Dempsey in Israel, Jordan, to tie last ends before Obama decides finally on US military action in Syria (warsclerotic.wordpress.com)
- ‘They Cry Peace’ as U.S. General Dempsey Lands in Israel to Discuss War Plans for Syria (fromthetrenchesworldreport.com)
- US General Dempsey in Israel – is a no fly zone , 40 km buffer zone limited kinetic action looming ( Libya redux ) for Syria – to support Al Qaeda rebel forces ( not sure if this is part of core al qaeda we have on the run or the spreading cancer varie (fredw-catharsisours.blogspot.com)